Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Did I miss an important call?

We must get five or six junk calls a day, no longer just at dinner time.  If we don't recognize the voice and the caller doesn't identify himself or herself but only asks for one of us by name, we either hang up or say whoever was asked for is not available at the moment.

A few minutes ago a reasonably sounding female voice asked if I was here.  I replied "He is not available at the moment" and hung up.

Then I regretted my action.  I do have a couple of outstanding discussions with a company or two.  Could it have been one of these calling back as a follow-up?

My wife said the person should have identified herself and would call another time if the business was important.  But I have reservations about the caller identifying herself.  The caller may not have known if she was calling a home or an office.  Would the callee want the answerer to know who the call was from?

I suppose I should have at least asked who was calling before hanging up.