Friday, November 03, 2006

Expensive wood

I heard years ago a long story about a multiple-thousand-dollar cord of wood. A man was going to save money on fuel by burning wood. He bought a chain saw to cut the wood and a pickup to carry it. He damaged the truck, cut himself with the saw, and had several other misfortunes. I looked for a current version but couldn't find it readily.

I almost had extra expensive wood although not on the scale of the above story. My wife and I were gathering small downed trees to break up for kindling and firewood. As I dragged one out of the brush my vision went blurry in one eye. A twig had hit me in the eye and knocked my contact lens out.

I immediately stopped in my tracks and didn't move my feet. My wife first checked my eye to make sure the lens wasn't off center. We both crouched down and tried to see a glint in the leaves and other detritus on the ground. I was just about ready to give up, use a backup lens, and order another when my wife found the lens about two-and-a-half feet in front of me and slightly to one side.

She made sure it was firmly in my grip, and I walked back to the cabin to clean it, take out the other, and put on my glasses. I didn't want to bother with the backup lens, partly because I still had more trees to pull out. But it was hard to walk on uneven ground with bifocals.