Thursday, November 02, 2006

Wind and blowhards

We received the Nov/Dec. Utne today. I was wondering if we should continue to subscribe until I started leafing through it.

The first article that caught my eye was on small scale wind projects. Almost any big-box store can provide its power needs with wind power. So can anybody with about an acre of clear land. Some small cities may get 100% of their electricity from wind in twenty years. Some manufacturers are struggling to keep up with demand.

The second article is on I.F. Stone, a maverick, independent journalist, who wrote well and based his opinions on facts he could verify. He quit writing his weekly in 1971 and died in 1989. I remember that he was slowly going blind, but taught himself Classical Greek and wrote a book on Socrates. I know that the Univac library subscribed to I. F. Stone Weekly, but I rarely took time to read it. Many of his words apply today.

"The simple fact that occupying armies, whether allied or enemy, always become unpopular hardly ever figures in official calculation." - Stone on the Vietnam War

The online Utne doesn't contain the text of these articles. If you choose not to buy this issue, you probably can find it in many libraries.