Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Cause and effect or coincidence

What a day of changing circumstances!

The weather forecast was for rain and maybe thunderstorms for today. I waffled about walking or driving to coffee, the barber, and the grocery store. I should fill the truck and get it washed, but do I want to wash it if it will rain? I opted for driving with clouds in the sky. I went without cap or sunglasses.

As I neared the shopping area I saw that Holiday had raised its gas price from $2.029 to $2.199. As I turned towards the coffee shop I noticed the station I usually go to had gas still at $2.029. I made a quick U-turn and headed to that station.

As I pulled in I noticed that employees were changing the sign to the higher price. I checked a pump and it was still at $2.029. But I was on the wrong side for my truck. I pulled up to another pump and I'm still on the wrong side. On the third try I am on the correct side to fill and the price is still $2.029. This is the first time that I remember quickly filling up when I see the price going up.

I fill up and then remember I have to fill the gas can for the cabin. I fill it and then remember I forgot to add the stabilizer. I do so and hope the travel will mix it up sufficiently.

I go into the station to pay cash and order a car wash. The cashier is all in a dither because several things seem to be going wrong including printing receipts. Given that it is still cloudy I ask if the car wash will stay open. She says she can't promise anything. Since I pay cash I get ten cent discount on the gas, and I bought more than enough gas to get a ten percent discount on the car wash. Wow! Gas for $1.929 when the Holiday is at $2.199!

I'm "late" for coffee, pocket the wash coupon, and join my friends. As we sit in the coffee shop, the sky turns blue. So much for the rain! When we're done, I dither about getting the car washed or heading to the barber. Let's see, I might be late if I get the car washed first. And he might be waiting for me. I go to the barber shop. I wait!

After I get my hair cut, I get the car washed and under a sunny sky head to the grocery store. I won't bore you with the little adventures there, but I head out and home still with a sunny sky. Fortunately I have a spare pair of sunglasses in the truck. I head home, pull into the garage, and pick up the groceries. This little detail is important for later.

After lunch, I walk up to UMD for a University for Seniors class. Now the sky has turned gray and I remember to take my umbrella. As I turn the corner and head up the hill, the bus I could take comes to the stop I would normally use. Do I rush up to the next stop or just keep walking. I keep walking; I can use the exercise.

Just as I get to the campus, it starts sprinkling. Not enough for the umbrella, but will I make it to right building in time. I do.

After class I chat with the instructor for much longer than I normally do. When I get outside, there are big black clouds to the west. Wait for the bus or walk? I walk. Every so often there are a few drops but nothing to put up the umbrella for.

I climb the porch stairs and try the front door. It's locked because my wife has gone out. I reach into my pocket for my keys and there are NO keys! I try my jacket pockets, double check my pants pocket, NO keys! I go around to the back door and it is locked as expected. Did I leave the keys in the truck? I can't check because the garage door is locked. I bet I had taken my keys out and put them on the dining room table when I put some change in our change bowl.

I stand on the tiny back porch and wait for my wife. I work through a couple of Sudoku puzzles on my iPod. Then I hear some really loud thunderclaps and then I hear a big rattle come from the west. It's hail and bouncing all over. Right behind it is a blowing rain. I race around to the front porch where I will have a wall between me and the wind. The downspouts are spouting and the hail hits like cannonballs in the water running in the street.

Finally the storm subsides and I head back to the back porch where I hope my wife will arrive any minute. Another Sudoku puzzle. A neighbor comes home and I ask if they still have one of our keys and know where it is. Bingo! I'm in.

Now I frantically search the house for my keys. I couldn't have lost them at UMD. I won't be able to get them back until tomorrow. I look on the dining room table, in the change bowl, on all the kitchen counters, in the grocery bags, in the office, NADA! I can't check the garage because I only have a front door key.

I try to occupy myself, but can't really get motivated. About an hour after this lost keys affair started, my wife comes home. "I put your keys in the bowl by the door, and I told you that I did."