Saturday, May 16, 2009

More thoughts on efficiency

Machines are efficient, people are inefficient. I generally prefer service by people. I would rather go into the bank to cash a check than use the ATM. I would rather go to a store to buy something than order online. Sure, if the bank is closed or I am in a hurry, I'll use the ATM. If the item is hard to find, I'll order online.

This little blog entry was triggered on listening to a server schmooze at a neighborhood restaurant. Sure, it's more efficient to go to a chain fast food restaurant and be served by human automatons. But I'd rather go to a local restaurant where the staff interacts with the customers. I've found out who has graduated from college, what job a server is moving on to, and lots more about the food than I would at a fast food chain.

Also, a machine does not give you a free beer because food took longer than expected. It is really great when management gives employees latitude to make that kind of decision.

For a variety of reasons I haven't been visiting our favorite liquor store for the last few weeks. My wife suggested I buy a bottle of wine. Lo and behold, one of my favorite clerks had returned after a stint at another job. He is the best schmoozer of all the people at the store; he makes me want to stop more often. He may bring in more money than those who just answer questions and ring up the sale.