Thursday, May 21, 2009

One dimensional politics for multi-dimensional people

Today I received a brochure from Allete (Minnesota Power) urging me to consider joining Minnesota Utility Investors, Inc. (MUI) The cover reads "Keep Politics from eating into your investments!"

MUI describes itself as "a grassroots organization, established in 1990, to represent the interests of individuals and business investors owning shares in utility companies operating in Minnesota."

It is a relatively low-profile organization on the web. All the hits I received were of MUI's site, a few directory listings of it, and one Public Utilities Commission notice of a MUI filing of comments.

Like so many special interest groups, MUI assumes people have only one interest, that of the special interest group. The reality is that most of us are multi-dimensional with overlapping and contradictory interests.

I am also a rate-payer. If my Allete dividends are to go up, then most likely my electricity rates will go up. I am also a taxpayer. If Allete taxes go down, then my personal taxes go up. I am also an air breather. If Allete doesn't cut back on emissions, then my health could suffer. And on and on it goes.

Just which interest do I promote over the others. I think I'll go with citizen. I have to balance all these interests.