Sunday, May 10, 2009

Wow! We now have digital TV! So what!

Long after the original deadline for getting a coupon for a digital TV converter box, I got around to requesting one. Sometime in April we received it and I kept it in my wallet or in the kitchen. About two weeks ago we went to Radio Shack and bought one. Today I installed it.

I think I spent more time looking for a splitter for the single outlet box we have by the TV than I did installing the converter box. We finally used a Christmas tree extension cord with multiple outlets.

The hardest part was getting the screwed on antenna cord out of the back of the TV. The next hardest part was putting connector between the converter box and the TV; the ends were not threaded and I had to push them completely in.

OK, it did take awhile before I realized I hadn't turned on the extension cord and I hadn't turned on the converter box. But after I had them both on, it was just pushing a few buttons on the remote to run through the installation program.

I ran through the channels and all but one was sharp. I think it was Fox News that had the breakup that many people complain about. After a bit a banner was displayed that there was a weak signal. No great loss there.

Oh, yes, I didn't mention that our antenna is on the mantel and not outdoors as recommended. It probably helps that we almost have a line of sight to the antenna farm on the heights in Duluth.

Let's see, there was a long infomercial, a news program with much visual noise, a war movie about super tough guys, a panel of state legislators, the PGA tournament, a couple of programs on decorating, a program on the flu in Hmong(?), and the aforementioned scrambled program. Books and newspapers are far more interesting and with greater bandwidth.

Time to turn the TV off for a month or so. Except the remote won't turn it off! The original remote will but not the converter remote. Oh, well! Send a note to customer support and make do.

Back to my computer, books, and magazines.