Monday, September 07, 2009

I'm back!

I hope some of my 10-12 subscribers missed my almost daily posts.

Once upon a time, internet access was "fast" at 9600 bps, then 24,000, then 56,000. Then DSL and cable came along, 256,000 was fast, but now that is slow. Even 1.5 mbps is becoming slow. Sometimes we twiddle our thumbs waiting for a page to load even at these speeds.

Now imagine having to rely on dial-up instead of DSL. Worse, half-speed dial-up rather then 56 kbps. That is our situation at our cabin. The best we can do is 24 kbps, often less. Trying to read the New York Times is hopeless; it can take five to ten minutes to download the first page.

To add insult to injury, my provider who allows unlimited DSL access allows me only 10 hours dial-up access per month.

Given this, I'm reluctant to do much online except check email. Even that is a long process with ten or more spams a day.

Of course, there is all the grass to cut, the walks to take, the chair to sit in outside with a book, the fire pit to attend to, and, and, and... So not only did I not practice singing as much as I should, but I was reluctant to wait for Blogger to download to post any new entries.

So I apologize to my faithful subscribers. I hope I can return to posting about some amusing thing I did or posting some insight from what I've read.

Oh yes, a big thank you to those who encourage me to keep writing.