Wednesday, April 21, 2010

End of an era, but not a double bar end

After nearly nine years, I stopped taking voice lessons today.  As I told my instructor last week, "The first rule of successful employment is to show up, and the first rule of successful retirement is to not show up."  I think I mostly tired of trying to practice regularly and too often having some impediment to practice.  I also did not become as strong and accurate singer as I would like (see previous statement).

I have improved greatly since I started.  I do get the right notes more often and do have some "musical sense" that I can match other voices or a piano and can make the right intervals.  With my instructor's help I have developed a richer and less strained voice.

Who is this patient voice teacher?  Curt Hanson, choir director at Pilgrim Lutheran Church in Superior WI.  I started with him in the summer of 2001 at the John Duss Music Conservatory.  When the Conservatory closed two years ago he started teaching independently.  If you are interested in voice lessons, either as a beginner or as an accomplished singer who wants a few pointers, give Curt a call at 715-392-4731.

Why is it "not a double bar end"?  A double bar signifies the end of a piece of music.  I do plan to continue, practicing a variety of songs, getting better at the ones I know, and learning some others.