Thursday, April 08, 2010

The friendly IRS

Tonight I had another encounter with a friendly government employee.  Some people consider that an oxymoron, but I have often found that people employed to give service generally give good service, whether in government or private enterprise.

I had difficulty finding the PDF for a tax schedule at www.irs.gov.  I could find the instructions for it but not the form itself.  I finally went to the help page, looked up the number for the web page help desk, and dialed it.  With two more numbers I reached a very friendly fellow in one ring, and he led me to the form in two steps.

I should have asked if he was a government employee or a contractor.  Whatever, somebody on the government side was responsible for being sure those on the front line were friendly.