Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Is Gov. Charlie Crist really an independent?

Given that the National Republican Senatorial Committee has been leaning towards Marco Rubio for the upcoming Florida Senatorial election, Gov. Charlie Crist is considering filing as an independent.  As one who would like to see the Republicans behave with more of the individual freedom that the Party espouses, I would be very interested to see Crist run as an independent.

But how independent is Crist?  If you look at his campaign contributors, I would say not very much.  Open Secrets lists several corporate contributors as giving him more than $30,000.  In contrast, Marco Rubio has two contributors giving more than $30,000.

My wife pointed out that if I believe people who can't vote for a candidate shouldn't contribute, then should I comment on people who I can't vote for.  OK, dear!  I'll make some comments about candidates closer to home, especially an Independence Party candidate.

Tim Olson was elected by the Eighth District Independence Party Convention to go against long-time Democratic Representative Jim Oberstar.  See http://www.timberjay.com/detail/6813.html.  From what Timberjay reported of his speech, he sounds more like a Tea Party candidate than a person with some independence.

I went to Open Secrets to check on Olson's campaign contributions.  He is not listed, but Oberstar and some Republican contenders are listed.  Oberstar really takes the cake for non-voter contributions.  Six of his top ten contributors are unions.  Granted, some of the union members can vote for Oberstar, but what portion of the membership of the contributing unions are they?  In the top twenty of his contributors are the PACs for American Waterways Operators, American Council of Engineering Companies, and Associated General Contractors.  Do I smell pork?

I think I'll be casting a blank ballot for Congress this November.  It's the only way to vote for none of the above.