Thursday, April 08, 2010

Death and Life in the Wild

Warning: a graphic image follows.
My wife and I were going to the back of our Brimson property to salvage some downed trees for firewood.  She was walking ahead of me, and when she got near a clearing she said, "There's a dead deer on the path."  As I drew close, I saw the carcass with blood and big tufts of hair all around.


We didn't want to move it off the path or otherwise touch it.  We went back to our cabin to call a friend who has several sled dogs.  I left a message for her that she could have some free dog meat with a deer hide thrown in.  We went back out and continued on to our intended salvage site.

We worked there for about an hour and went back to our cabin.  When we got to the meadow, the carcass was gone.  All that was left was the stomach and intestines.  We thought our friend had picked up the carcass.  However, I thought it strange that there were no tire marks.

Later in the afternoon our friend returned our call.  She hadn't come over at all!  Apparently the wolf pack had come back and dismembered the deer completely.  We saw some beaten down grass but didn't see it leading anywhere.

Later yet, I heard a moose bellow and then a wolf howl.  I pulled out my camera and turned it on to video to capture the sounds, but I only got a couple of wolf howls.  Click here for the video.  They are probably a quarter to a half mile away.  Very haunting.