Thursday, April 21, 2011

Why do I write?

A friend asked me this the other day.

I have a lots of reasons to write: I read a lot; I respond to what I read; I'm a performer; I like to share what I think.

I know I'm not the world's greatest writer.  I can tell because this blog has not gone viral; on a good day a couple dozen people check my "headlines" via a feed.  But I do know that my writings resonate with those who have "open" minds; that is, minds not locked into a certain world view.

Yesterday I thought of another reason - to protect freedom.  Nope, I'm not on the battlements fighting against an invading army.  But I am expressing my thoughts in a way that I hope gets people to think beyond a certain limited view.  When we have a limited view, we think our way is the only right way, and when we do so, we keep making the same mistakes over and over.  That deprives us of the freedom to "think anew."