Saturday, March 02, 2013

An efficient private-public co-operation

I've written before about how well NetFlix and the Postal Service work together.  A couple of weeks ago I had a real surprise on how efficient that co-operation can be.

We returned a Netflix DVD on a Saturday morning.  On the following Monday, President's Day, a federal holiday, we received an email from NetFlix that we would receive the next DVD "on or about" Wednesday.  We received it on Tuesday!

I post these because I am tired of anti-government types who take a few incidents and blow them up to regular occurrences.  Any large organization makes many mistakes; consider my complaints about Apple and its many unsolved problems.  That doesn't mean that an organization that makes mistakes doesn't do a lot of other things well.  I've done a lot of useful things with my Apple products.  I just won't be in a rush to get the latest major upgrade of any of its software.  I'll wait until I have to buy a new device with the software installed.

BTW, DVDs by mail beat streaming.  Many call postal mail "snail mail".  Try streaming a movie any evening with a moderate speed connection.  A snail keeps moving.  A streaming movie can stop without warning.