Friday, March 01, 2013

Remember where you were when you heard…

Tonight we watched "Julia" with Jane Fonda and Vanessa Redgrave, a tight, engrossing movie about Lillian Hellman and her friend Julia.  I won't get into the veracity of the story, but I would like to mention my own personal incident concerning Lillian Hellman.  At the conclusion of the movie, I remembered where I was when I heard that she had died!

In the summer of 1984 I was driving on 42nd St. in Crystal, Minnesota when I heard a tribute to her on Minnesota Public Radio.  I was a block west of the Post Office.

I also remember where I was when I heard Jack Kennedy was shot, Walt Disney died, Marshall Dodge the Maine storyteller died, about 9/11, and 54 million shares were traded on the New York Stock Exchange the day before.

BTW, what is your name again?