Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Frunds in the bank?

I received an email today with the subject "RE: FRUNDS IN THE BANK!!"  This has to be spam!  "Re" for a subject I never used in email.  All caps.  Double exclamation marks.  And the sender used the title "Mr."  How many emails do you send with any of these in the header?  Maybe caps once in awhile.  "Re" only generated automatically when you respond to another's message.  Misspellings!  Lot of us make typos that we miss, but "FRUNDS".  Could this be a Freudian slip; the writer meant "FRAUDS IN THE BANK"?

Microsoft Outlook allows me to peek at the text of a message without opening it.  Sure enough, the writer has carefully investigated me and would like me to assist in a money transfer of several millions of dollars.  Gosh!  If he claims to be with a Hong Kong bank, doesn't the bank have the connections and resources to transfer large sums of money without calling on complete strangers, by email no less.

I wonder how long my list of blocked senders has become.  I block at least four a day from all over the world.  I wish I would get a commission from all those vendors of email addresses.  They could easily do it by putting my commission in my PayPal account.  As far as I know, I'm the only Melvyn Magree.