Monday, September 23, 2013

Simple questions don't get simple answers from corporate bureaucracies

I bought a really nifty Westinghouse solar powered light for our outhouse at our cabin.  It only cost about $30 and keeps us from stumbling in the dark, especially on a sunny day!!

It started acting up by not turning on again right after it was turned off.  I won't give the details of my investigation, but I did send them as email to Westinghouse's distributor, thinking I would get an explanation or an apology for not having an answer.  Instead I got a bunch of bureaucratese:

To process your order, I will need the following information:

* Full Name
* Mailing Address
* Contact Phone Number
* Purchase Location
* Purchase date
* Item/Model Number found on the BOX.
* Specific Part Number/Letter
* Copy of your purchase receipt with your order # on the top, sent via email attachment, by FAX or by mail.

They already have my name from my email.  I don't know why they need my address and phone number to answer a question, or even where and when I bought it.  I threw out the box, the item is essentially one part for purposes of my question, and I threw out or buried the receipt.  I thought I had the proper model number from Menards online catalog.

I think I'll just try new batteries and see what happens.  If that doesn't work, maybe I'll just ask one of the helpful clerks at Menards the next time I go there.