Thursday, September 12, 2013

Optimism in the Great War (Spring 1918)







"next Wed - the 11 or 12" - his "previous" letter was written on Wednesday, April 3.  He gives the day of the week for this letter as Tuesday with no day of the month.  I'll let you figure out the actual day he wrote this letter and whether this letter was before or after the letter of April 3.  It's too confusing to explain my own thoughts about this.









The names of the first group of people are not familiar to me, but A.C. Crocker was considered a cousin of my great-grandmother or great-grandfather.  His funeral was the first that I remember going to, probably in the late 1940s.  His longer name is Alfred C. Crocker.  He was born in England in 1896; his wife Minnie A Didham was born in Chagrin Falls in 1873.  She is either a niece of cousin of my great-grandmother.  Her given name may have been Mary, and her father was William Didham.


The name Fred Didham is not familiar to me, but he is probably a nephew of my great-grandmother.  He was born in Ohio in 1886 or 1887.




Martha was his niece who became my mother twenty years later.

Others in this series are:

Optimism in the Great War (1917-10-13)

Optimism in the Great War (1918-04-03)

Optimism in the Great War (Summer 1918)