Thursday, September 12, 2013

Optimism in the Great War (1918-04-03)

 I don't know how many letters Myron wrote since October or if any of them are still around.





"Wife" is my grandfather's wife, Marie Schack Greed.  Yes, that is a German name.  She supposedly ran away from home because she didn't want to speak German.  I have some letters to her from a cousin who married a well-off man and lived on Long Island.  The cousin complains about some of the shortages.

"Gertrude" is Myron's and Arthur's sister.  I don't know if she had married yet.

"little Martha" is my mother.






"nigger" - sigh!  What would they think of how multi-hued his brother's descendants have become or may become?  And what would they think of their buddies in future wars?

Others in this series are:

Optimism in the Great War (1917-10-13)

Optimism in the Great War (1918 Spring)

Optimism in the Great War (Summer 1918)