Thursday, September 12, 2013

Optimism in the Great War (1917-10-13)

My sister-in-law twice sent me a few letters that my mother's uncle, Myron F. Greed, sent to his brother and our grandfather, Arthur C. Greed.  I think she and my brother were given them by my grandfather or were found by them among his possessions after he died.  He was living in a retirement home near them in central Ohio.   I finally scanned both sets so that I can pass them on to other family members.

Myron F. Greed enlisted or was drafted into the U.S. Army in or before October 1917.  He was in the Sanitary Corps, a group that provided administrative and technical services to military physicians.  Myron spent most of his time in Camp McClellan, Anniston AL.

For the most part, his letters are upbeat and he seems to be enjoying camp life.

I will let his words speak for themselves.  I will only add commentary about people and places he mentions.


Note the postmark is Oct. 17, 1917, Myron wrote what looks like 1915 on his letter.  Note also the addresses of my grandfather on the various envelopes.  My grandfather moved a lot all of his life.


"Mother" is Eva Didham Greed Brainard; a widow, she had married for the second time that summer.


"The baby" is my mother, Martha Marie, born April 7.




Others in this series are:

Optimism in the Great War (1918-04-03)

Optimism in the Great War (1918 Spring)

Optimism in the Great War (Summer 1918)