Thursday, September 26, 2013

Corporate assumptions or is it presumptions?

Based on the credit card I didn't ask for ("Corporate efficiency - unwanted, unreceived new card"), Visa is emailing me certificates for "FreeMonee Gifts".  "These Gifts are matched to your interests, allowing you to shop at hundreds of stores and restaurants."

The current offer is for $5 off for an online order of Omaha Steaks.  Where do they get the idea that I want to buy steaks online?  That I used my previous card at some restaurants?  How would they know I ordered steak?  More likely I had fish or chicken.  But I started a plant-based diet two-months ago; see "Serendipity leads to weight loss".

Allowing me "to shop at hundreds of stores and restaurants"?  Do I need their permission to shop at any of these stores and restaurants?  If I wanted to, would I need their "gift" of five dollars off to do so?  What it really means is enticing me "to shop at hundreds of stores and restaurants" that I might not visit otherwise.  Oh yes, using my credit card so Visa can collect more fees from the hundreds of stores and restaurants.  Adam Smith is correct again about deceiving the public.

What I really use my credit card for is recurring donations or subscriptions so that I don't get caught with an overdraft using my debit card.  I also use it for expenses that I didn't expect, like a big car repair.  Otherwise, I use cash, check, or debit card, preferring the first two because they save local businesses the card fees.