Thursday, April 16, 2009

Don't conform your way, conform my way!

Poor George Will doesn't like so many people wearing jeans for almost all occasions. See "Demon Denim", George Will, Washington Post, 2009-04-16

He called it an "obnoxious misuse of freedom" and other diatribes. He doesn't like the undifferentiated look. Now look in the back page of a company annual report. If it weren't for the women on the board, everybody would look a lot a like. The suits of the men look undifferentiated all dark gray or blue, maybe with different colors of ties.

Will confesses to having a single pair of jeans. I confess to having one suit (pin-striped), a tweed jacket, a camel jacket, and several pairs of slacks. I will wear them if I feel I must, but I avoid wearing them. I much prefer my blue jeans for almost all occasions. They are comfortable and not baggy; if I get them dirty they are easily washable. And if I tear them, they become strictly work clothes.

I guess George Will wants us to go back to the undifferentiated time when all men wore suits and wore fedora hats. That time was an obnoxious misuse of conformity.