Monday, April 27, 2009

Now I really understand a turkey shoot.

I've often heard the term turkey shoot and thought it meant that something was easy. Today I learned how easy a turkey shoot really is.

We were driving back to Duluth from our cabin in Brimson and I saw a turkey walking in the road. The last time I tried to take a picture of a turkey from the road I never got a clear picture. I pulled over and stopped.

Before I could even get my camera out, the turkey was walking toward me, making strange sounds like a puppy's bark and whimper. As I started taking pictures it turned and went the other way. I was able to get seven pictures from several different angles, most of them reasonably sharp. I wish I had thought to take a movie because of that whimper.

The turkey walked directly towards me one other time but generally walked parallel to me. If I had had a big net, I could have captured the turkey almost anytime. Finally I chased it to the side of the road and we went on our way.

Wild turkey

Click on the picture to see it in other sizes.