Friday, March 06, 2009

The bill for the indirect tax to the city is in

My truck wasn't ready yesterday because the mechanic ran out of time. The dealer gave me a loaner for overnight, and I went back this afternoon to pick up my truck.

As I wrote yesterday, a tie rod had to be replaced. The sleeve was on the ball joint, and the latter had to be replaced also. I was a bit pessimistic about the total bill. It was $594.13.

I went to the filing cabinet to look up our real estate taxes for Duluth. For this year and last we will pay about $600. Add the tax for the auto repair and that is $1200 in taxes to the city of Duluth for two years. I think I would rather pay that directly and have better streets.

Would you believe that the dirt road that runs in front of our cabin is in better shape than some of the streets around our house? And we pay a pittance in real estate taxes to the township. Maybe we should go back to having dirt roads in our cities. When the snow trucks come by, they will smooth the streets.