Thursday, March 05, 2009

No one is really hiring?

This was a headline in today's Duluth News Tribune as a declarative statement.

"Come on!" thought I; somebody has to be hiring for a variety of reasons. I checked the Help Wanted section and there were several jobs listed. The appeal of them varied as well as the pay. Even the beleaguered school district was hiring.

I stopped at a Radio Shack for a dock for my iPod. I asked the sales representative if Radio Shack was hiring. He paused and said, "I think we have an opening."

As I'm writing this, I'm waiting for service on my truck. I chatted with the service manager on a variety of issues and asked him about hiring. As expected for the auto industry, his answer was negative. On the other hand, I overheard a customer saying that the repair bill on his out-of-warranty truck was going to be three to ten thousand dollars. He must have enough business to justify paying that kind of money to stay in business. And both of us are helping the service part of the auto industry keep going.