Saturday, March 28, 2009

I'm a busker, I think

Today I auditioned with the Duluth Parks and Recreation Commission for a busker spot during the Gallery Hop on April 18. A busker is a street entertainer who sings, plays, dances, or does other performance activities. See BUSKER CENTRAL - Street Performers and Buskers Reference Site.

I was among the first five to audition. Before my turn came I had forgotten some of the words to "Arirang", a Korean song I've sung many times. I did manage to get through "Die Gedanken Sind Frei" and "Santa Lucia". I don't know how much applause I got. The stage was brightly lit and the seats were in the dark, but just as I finished, somebody from the commission was showing a sign in the back, "TIME".

Before the second hour was up they said that all of us would have an assigned spot. By the time it was all over, 31 groups had performed. They said they would split the assignments into four hour shifts.

I was the only a capella singer; other singers accompanied themselves with guitars or other instruments. Some were little bands all by themselves; one performer used a harmonica, a suitcase drum, a banjo, and a jug. There was a belly dancer and group of hoop dancers.

The nicest things were when one performer stopped to shake my hand as he left and another sat and chatted with me a bit impressed that I sang unaccompanied. This is a long way for the guy who was always off-key in choral groups. See "Men Can Sing".

So, I have to get busy memorizing more songs and maybe drag along my notebook of songs, if nothing more than for a quick glance to refresh my memory. I'll probably have to bring lots of cough drops, too.

Now I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting official confirmation.