Friday, March 27, 2009

Thanks to my five readers, or is it 4, or 6, or 8?

How do I know how many people are reading this blog?

I have three ways. If you pull up the blog, Google AdSense counts you. If you have set up a feed for the blog, then Google's FeedBurner counts you. In the latter case, I'm not sure if you've read the full text or just glanced at the headlines. If you've read the full text, you may be counted in the first group.

Google AdSense tells me there are 1-5 users per day. I have no idea if that is one person visiting multiple times or several people visiting once each. Google FeedBurner tells me there are 4-7 users per day. It tells me which pages these users have viewed or clicked, and I'm not sure what the difference is.

FeedBurner also tells me what feeds or browsers people are using. I'm not sure how to interpret the browser use. The feeds had been consistently three for Google FeedFetcher, one for LargeSmall Crawler, and one or two others whose names I haven't been noting. About every three days somebody from Japan checks in with Firefox Live Bookmarks.

Last night none of you who use a feed viewed or clicked the blog because I had nothing that was new to you. I do hope I can write something interesting everyday, but I'll try to make sure I do so at least every other day. Sometimes it will be every three or four days.

I only know two readers for sure, a husband and wife one of which is a locally known writer, far better than I.

If you know me, I hope you can drop me a line or speak to me. I'd like to know what you think of this blog.

Meanwhile, I thank each and every one of you who read this blog. It beats writing into a diary which sits on a bookshelf.