Monday, March 30, 2009

Netting phishers

I received an email today that claimed my Bank of America card had been deactivated. Strange, I don't have a Bank of America card.

I didn't open the email but I looked at its source. Sure enough, a look-alike URL was used for the link to "verify" my data.

Often I don't bother with reporting fraud to companies that I don't do business with. On the other hand, the more of us who report fraud, the tougher it will get for the bad guys.

I had checked Bank of America's web site once before but hadn't found any fraud report link. I checked today, started with "Contact us", and a couple of pages later found a "Report Fraud" item. It said that fraudulent email should be forwarded to abuse@bankofamerica.com. I did so and deleted the fraudulent email.

The most active tracker of fraudulent email that I know is PayPal. If you get suspicious email supposedly from PayPal, forward it to spoof@paypal.com.

It may take you only a few minutes to report fraud, but you may save many other people years of grief.