Friday, March 20, 2009

We stop skiing and it snows!!

On Wednesday we decided we had enough skiing for the season, cleaned out our locker at Spirit Mt., and dropped our skis off at Ski Hut for waxing and sharpening for next season.

Today we drove to our cabin to cut more wood. The forecast was for a high in the 30s and 40s and light snow. The closer we got to Brimson, the more it snowed. When we arrived there was already a half-inch of new snow ground. And it snowed and it snowed. The temperature was about 28.

I selected a tree to cut and clipped brush around it. My hands were really getting cold as I did the last clump.

My wife had a nice fire going by then and I warmed up quickly. Meanwhile the snow was falling thicker and thicker. I was antsy and wanted to get back out, but I didn't want to get soaked.

MPR gave another weather report like I started out with. This wasn't for the Twin Cities but for the Duluth area. Here in Brimson it was snowing harder than ever. I dashed off a webmail to MPR, but it went into the maw of the bureaucracy.

Along about cocktail hour I decided I should go cut my tree for the day. I just had to get one down. With two inches accumulation it had stopped snowing. I did a six-incher and cut it into rounds. Before I gathered them up I shoveled a path to the outhouse and two the woodshed. I got out the toboggan and hauled them to a cutting stump. Then my wife came out and asked if she could help! Oh, well, I don't help much with the cooking and many other things. By six o'clock I felt satisfied that I had done all I could for the day.

Tomorrow is splitting day and maybe I'll get another tree down.