Sunday, March 08, 2009

I bought an obsolete product!

Last week I bought a low-power FM transmitter and auto charger for my iPod. I really wanted to have it before our ski trip for when we couldn't get a good public radio signal. Just having a passenger click on a selection is easier than recognizing that a CD is starting back at the beginning. Besides, I think I have more CDs and podcasts on my iPod than we could put into the console between the seats.

After I bought it I was musing about replacing our pickup truck with a van. I'm getting a bit too stiff to climb into a pickup truck. As I read through specs, I found out that some new vehicles have USB ports. One can just plug an iPod or other MP3 player into the dashboard and have the sound come out the car speakers! What will they think of next?

Hm! I don't think $85 dollars for the transmitter and a thousand or so dollars a year in repairs really compares to twenty to thirty thousand for a new vehicle.

But, if I had had the transmitter when we left on our ski vacation, I would have never heard Clay Jenkinson doing his impersonation of how Thomas Jefferson would react to today's events. If I remember correctly, old Tom didn't care for the stimulus packages. See "The Thomas Jefferson Hour".

I have already downloaded four episodes of the Jefferson Hour. But first, I have catch up on "To the Best of Our Knowledge" and "PRI's The World: Technology Podcast".